erica

erica

I like stuff with romantic elements and angst, usually YA, fantasy, paranormal/urban fantasy or variations thereof. Usually wrinkles nose at sci-fi due to unlikely tech. Straight girl who likes boys that like boys!

The Friend Zone
Progress: 56/276 pages
Pivot Point
Kasie West
Progress: 36/237 pages

I have no idea why so many love this book

Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta

Everybody loves this book. I have absolutely no idea why. It annoyed me so much I feared for the health of my poor e-reader, as it was close to being hurled across the room several times.

This was at least twice as long as it needed to be, it was freaking obvious who all the grown-ups in Taylor's life were and the damn moronic school war shit going on for almost half the book almost killed me. I hated its pointless plot-existence with a vengeance.

What bugs me the most is that the school war crap just petered out halfway through the book, with everybody basically forgetting about it when the leaders & their posses of the respective schools become BFFs. I slogged through a lot of boring that in the end was only a tool to get the MC to meet some other people. They could have met at a yearly school get-together of some sort and the end result would have been the same. With added bonus of cutting the book in half!

It almost reads as two separate ideas for a book that were then woven together. Technically I guess it didn't suck, but jeesh was it boring me to tears for long stretches. So not my cup of tea.