erica

erica

I like stuff with romantic elements and angst, usually YA, fantasy, paranormal/urban fantasy or variations thereof. Usually wrinkles nose at sci-fi due to unlikely tech. Straight girl who likes boys that like boys!

The Friend Zone
Progress: 56/276 pages
Pivot Point
Kasie West
Progress: 36/237 pages
Right Behind You - Gail Giles This one is a bit weird for me. The story line was good, the writing was good, Kip/Wade was an interesting character with moments of being pretty awesome. Institutionalised at 9 after setting his neighbour on fire, he did not act or talk like a child throughout the entire book - but that felt right. His journey from 9 years old to 17/18 or thereabouts was believable. How do you deal with something you did that you can't quite remember, that makes the world hate you so? And living in a mental institution with other fucked up kids - the "Loon Platoon" - from age 9 to 14 makes you a little strange. How do you assimilate into society afterwards? The book has some great secondary characters - his dad, stepmom, The Frown. Despite all of that I still felt a detachment from the book; I wanted Kip/Wade to get under my skin more. I could see his growth and change, but I wanted to feel it, and I didn't. If I had this would have been an amazing book. As it is, it somehow did everything right but still left me the observer and I want to breathe and live my books.

To sum up: I can see that it is a very good book, I just wanted it to be more. But still, go read it :-)