erica

erica

I like stuff with romantic elements and angst, usually YA, fantasy, paranormal/urban fantasy or variations thereof. Usually wrinkles nose at sci-fi due to unlikely tech. Straight girl who likes boys that like boys!

The Friend Zone
Progress: 56/276 pages
Pivot Point
Kasie West
Progress: 36/237 pages
You Had Me At Hello - Mhairi McFarlane The book wasn't bad in itself, but after the first part where I could really relate to the weirdness and lostness at being single after 13 years, I had too many moments of wanting to slap her when she was channeling Bridget Jones patheticness. Bridget Jones annoys me no end.

I mostly thought present-day Rachel was a useless, but quite likeable in her uni flashbacks. At times I had that sinking feeling you get when you watch a film and characters do stupid shit and you find yourself yelling "no no no no no don't do THAT!" at the telly. It turns out Ben was a bit of an idiot too, and that there was A BIG MISUNDERSTANDING that could have been avoided IF THEY'D TALKED, and saved them both a lot of grief and 10 years apart. I couldn't quite relate to the dynamics she had with her girlfriends, as my own girl-posse is quite different, although Mindy seemed like fun.

I can see that it wasn't a bad book, but it pressed all my wrong buttons.