erica

erica

I like stuff with romantic elements and angst, usually YA, fantasy, paranormal/urban fantasy or variations thereof. Usually wrinkles nose at sci-fi due to unlikely tech. Straight girl who likes boys that like boys!

The Friend Zone
Kasie West
Progress: 36/237 pages

Revisiting old favourites!

Devil's Cub - Georgette Heyer

Been a while since I read any Georgette Heyer - the author that single handedly started my English reading career when I was around 14 :-)

The only book I had read in English before trying Heyer's books was Black Beauty, and while I was a horsey horsey horse girl, it didn't suck me in, and I never really overcame the struggle of reading a book  in a foreign language. I spoke English without problem, but reading & writing is not the same. My British grandmother in her infinite wisdom decided that I would probably love Georgette Heyer just as much as she did when she discovered her at the age of 12 (she used to read them in the quiet periods while lying on the roof of the barn during WW2 counting how many fighter planes went out and how many came back...!), and let me borrow her copy of Frederica. I loved it, and went right on to These Old Shades and Devil's Cub, dictionary at hand to figure out what the swanky words meant.

I remember my English teacher at the time pulling me aside after a couple of books wondering if perhaps I had started reading a lot of English books, and if so, which ones? And her "aaaah, that explains the vocabulary!" when  I told her what I had been reading. I bet all my essays sported some... rather archaic choices of words and phrases for a while.